Before starting goat farming business learn as much as possible about how to start goat farming business. This will help you to learn more about goats and their rearing methods. Goat farming is really very profitable business. And it is very easy and enjoyable than other livestock. For establishing a successful goat farming business follow the step by step guide.
- Select Suitable Breeds: Before starting goat farming business, decide which goat products do you want to produce. You can produce meat, milk, fiber or skin from goats. Consider your local market, where you can sell your products easily. Then select perfect breed for your business.
- Get Training: Is there any livestock rearing training center in your nearest area. If yes, try to contact with them and complete a training on goat farming. It is very necessary for successfully running goat farming business. By a training on goat farming you will gain practical knowledge about goat and their rearing methods. You will be able do some basic and essential goat caring tasks like goat diseases, performing goat health check, breeds of each variety of goats, required space in their house, feeding, health management, caring kids, caring pregnant goats etc. In accordance with training, try to read a lots of books on goat rearing.
- Buy Necessary Things & Equipments: You need some equipments for your goats, like water pot, feeding basket, medicines etc. Before bringing your goat to your farm make all necessary equipments ready The necessary things for starting goat farming business are money, goats, fencing, housing, separate barn for both does and bucks, silage pit, bet, suitable market and possible customers.
- Make a House: Goats hardly stay inside the house. But you must have to build a house for keeping them safe and free from predators. A house also give them shelter in winter season and rainy days. Goats can adopt themselves with almost all types of environment. If you want to keep them in a small pole bran, they will happily stay there. You can also keep them with your other livestock animals. But keep in mind that, for commercial production special house is a must with all modern facilities available. Try to make a south facing house for your goats. Goat can’t tolerate heavy cold and rain water. Never let the snow and rain water enter inside the house. A draft free building will help to keep your goat warm enormously. Make sure there are sufficient flow of fresh air and sunlight inside the house. Make proper drainage facility inside the house, so that you can clean the house easily.
- Make a Pasture: It would be better if you can make a pasture for your goats. It will decrease your farms food cost and keep your goats healthy. You can easily make a pasture by fencing you land with wire or net. Before making pasture meet with a producer who has a great knowledge in this business and making pasture before.
- Buy A Buck & Some Does: Always try to buy good quality, diseases free and healthy goats. High production is directly related to high quality and diseases free healthy goats. If possible, take help from an experienced producer for purchasing goats. Buy one buck and several does.
- Breed Your Does: Always be very careful about the care and management of your does. During their mating period when they go into heat, keep them in a buck’s room for some days. Keep them with buck until their mating. On an average the gestation period of a doe is between 145 to 155 days.
- Take Care of Bucks: Take some extra care of the bucks which will be used for breeding purposes. Provide them high quality food enriched with all types of nutrition ingredients.
- Provide Fresh Food: Always give your goats fresh and healthy food. Providing fresh food not only increase your production but also keep the goats healthy, productive and diseases free. Also serve them sufficient fresh and clean water regularly.
- Determine the Market: I have already said that, before starting goat farming business make sure there is a market available near your farm. Where you can easily sell and buy your necessary products. And finally sell your products in the market.
- Calculation: Calculate your total income by selling the products and total expenditure of your farm. In first year your total income may be less than or equal to your total expenditure After that you will definitely get high production and profit from your business.
Some Essential Tips & Caution
To become successful in goat farming business always try to keep your goats hygienically. Always feed them fresh and nutritious goat food. Because certain feeds can affect the taste of milk and meat of goat. Always try to keep your goats inside the fence. And check occasionally if there any holes in the fence. If you find any hole, repair it quickly. Because goat kids can go out from those small hole. Always keep the goat house clean and dry. Also clean the places where you milk your goat. Keep good relationships with other goat producers and veterinarian doctor. Always take extra care of your buck. Never use one buck for breeding all your does.
If you follow all this steps about “how to start goat farming business” then you will defiantly get highest production for your business.