Commercial goat farming business is gaining popularity day by day and goat farming in Bangladesh is already an established and profitable business model. Goats are small sized livestock animal and it is very easy to raise some goats. Even the woman and children can also raise and take care of them easily along with their regular work. Nowadays the popularity of commercial goat farming business in Bangladesh is increasing and more and more people are engaging with this business. I have included the benefits and steps for starting goat farming in Bangladesh.
Why Goat Farming in Bangladesh?
There are many advantages of starting commercial goat farming business. I am describing the main benefits of goat farming in Bangladesh.
- Goats are small livestock animal. They require less space and care than cattle.
- Goat care and management process are very easy and simple. Woman can easily raise some goats along with their regular household activities. And the children can also raise them perfectly with their studies.
- The Government of Bangladesh is continuously inspiring the people for setting up small scale goat farm and creating many opportunities necessary for goat farming business.
- Goats are multi purpose small sized livestock animal and they are suitable for commercial milk, meat, fiber, skin and manure production.
- Goats require less living space, care and additional facilities compared to other livestock animal like cattle.
- They can manage themselves with less management, care, housing and feeding. In small scale production, you can keep your goats with other animals like cow or sheep.
- Infrastructure, feeding, treatment and other production costs are less.
- Highly productive goat breeds are available and suitable for farming in Bangladesh according to its weather, climate and other circumstances.
- Goats are smaller in size but reach slaughter age faster.
- Their are no religious obligations or taboo for consuming goat products like meat and milk.
- Many highly productive local and foreign goat breeds are available and suitable for commercial production.
- Goat meat has a great demand and value in the local Bangladeshi and international market. Goat milk is very suitable for human health and the popularity and consuming rate of goat milk is increasing rapidly. So, you don’t have to think about marketing your products.
- Commercial goat farming in Bangladesh can be a great source of income and employment for the unemployed educated people of Bangladesh.
How to Start Goat Farming in Bangladesh?
Setting up small scale goat farm is very easy. But for large scale commercial production, you have to make proper plan and use them perfectly. Here, I am describing the process/steps for setting up commercial goat farming in Bangladesh. If you are a beginner, visit goat farming business plan for beginner.
Selecting a suitable farm location for starting commercial goat farming in Bangladesh is most important. Although, almost all places of Bangladesh are suitable for setting up goat farming business. But it will be better for commercial production if you can set up the farm near from your house and far from the residential areas. While selecting location for setting up farm, keep in mind the necessary facilities that are very urgent proper growth and maximum production. The necessary facilities for goat farming in Bangladesh includes good housing, grazing place, fresh water source, veterinary services, good transportation system, suitable market etc. Consider the following facilities while selecting suitable farm location for commercial goat farming business.
- The selected location must have to have a great source of sufficient clean and fresh water.
- The selected area must have to be suitable for crop, grass and other green plant production. Because, grass or other green plant production helps to minimize the feeding costs.
- Grazing keeps the goat healthy and productive. So, try to make a grazing place for your goats.
- A market near the farm location will be effective.
- Good transportation facilities in the selected area.
- Ensure availability of all types of necessary veterinarian service in the area.
- Try to establish the farm in rural areas. Because, labor and lands are highly available within very cheap price in those areas. And some other management costs are less in rural areas.
- The selected area must have to be free from all types of pollution and noise.
- In a word, select such a location that is suitable for proper growth and ensure maximum production.
Selecting proper breeds is most important part of your commercial goat farming business in Bangladesh. Before selecting proper breeds, determine what type of products you want to produce. Visit your nearest local market and try to understand what type of goat products has a huge demand. If goat milk has huge demand then you can start raising dairy goats. Goat meat has a huge demand in the local and international market. So, you can easily choose any highly meat productive goat breeds for commercial production. After determining your desired production, choose suitable breeds. Black Bengal goat is a native Bangladeshi goat breed. It is highly meat productive deshi goat breed. The meat of Black Bengal goat is very tasty and has a great demand in the local and international market. Boer goat and Sirohi are also highly meat productive. For commercial milk production you can raise some highly milk producing dairy goat breeds like Saanen, Jamunapari etc. All those foreign breeds are very suitable for commercial goat farming in Bangladesh. However, choose proper breeds according to your desired production.
Most of the small scale goat farmer of Bangladesh used to keep their goats with other livestock animals. But for commercial production you must have to make a proper house for your goats. Making a suitable housing system is the most important part of commercial goat farming in Bangladesh. A good house keeps the animal safe and free from all types of adverse environment and predators. Nowadays, stall feeding goat farming system has been proved as the most profitable farming system and this system is gaining popularity day by day in Bangladesh. For commercial production stall feeding is system is very effective. So, you have to build house by keeping in mind this factor. Goat housing design depends on the breed and production type. So, the goat housing design may be of various types according to the breed and production type. Consider the followings while making house for your goats.
- Make the house in relatively higher place so that you can keep your goats free from flood water.
- Try to keep the goats in clean house which is free from dampness, drafts and all types of pests.
- Always keep the house dry. Because goat doesn’t like wet floor.
- Make proper ventilation system and ensure sufficient flow of fresh air and enough light inside the house.
- Make a drain inside the house for the purpose of proper sanitation system. This also helps to keep the goat healthy and you can easily clean the house.
- Prevent entrance of rain water directly into the house. Goat hates rainwater. In this regard, you can make the house with adbestos or concrete roof.
- Keep adequate temperature control system. Goat grows slowly in cold temperature. So, while making house keep in mind this factor.
- Always clean the feeding and watering equipment inside the house. And include all types of necessary equipment and facilities for proper growth and maximum production.
Always feed your goats well balanced and nutritious food. Add all types of necessary vitamins, minerals, salt etc. in their food. Ensure proper amount of protein in goat feed. Supply them sufficient amount of green grasses or other green plants. Never try to feed them date expired or contaminated food with their regular food. Along with providing high quality nutritious food, try to serve them sufficient amount of clean and fresh water.
For commercial goat farming, sufficient veterinary services are must. Before starting goat farming business, you must have to be ensure about the availability of all types of necessary veterinary services. Always stock some necessary medicines and vaccines in your farm. And keep good relation with the doctor.
Special Care & Management
Always take good care of your goats. Try to monitor all their activities. Check their health condition on a regular basis. Try to determine whether they are healthy or infected by any diseases. Never let them to go outside the farm. If possible, make a fence surrounding your farm. Always provide them nutritious food and fresh water. Vaccinate them timely to keep them free from all types of diseases and health hazard. Keep buck and does separated from each other. Keep the kids with their mother for a several periods and after that keep them separately. Feed the kids their mother milk for the first few weeks. Take extra care of breeding buck and pregnant does.
Marketing process of goat products are very easy. You can easily sell all products in your nearest market. The demand of goat milk in Bangladesh is slightly less but it is increasing. In near future a suitable market will be established for selling and buying goats milk. On the other hand goat meat has a huge demand in the local market. You can even try to sell goat meat in international market. Other goat products like skin, fiber and manure has a huge demand. So, don’t think about marketing he products, just start raising goats commercially by strictly following the other steps.
Goat farming in Bangladesh has a great opportunities like other potential income sources. If you are thinking about raising goats commercially, then try to learn more about commercial goat farming process including housing, feeding, medicines, care, management etc. and goat farming basics. It would be better if you complete a training on goat farming in Bangladesh form the govt. or non-govt. livestock training centers. Wish your success!