Pigeon farming is very interesting, profitable and pigeons are very popular domestic bird. Pigeons are considered as the symbol of peace.
Almost all types of people who have facilities, love to raise some pigeon in their home. Pigeon farming require less labor and low investment. Even you can also raise and take care of them during your leisure time.
The meat of baby pigeon (squab) is very tasty, nutritious and restorative. Squabs also have huge demand and price in the market. On the other hand pigeon farming can be a great source of some extra income and entertainment.
Raising pigeons using modern methods is very profitable than traditional way. So, to be successful in pigeon farming business, use modern rearing techniques and take good care of your birds.
Here we are trying to describe more about the advantages of pigeon farming and steps for starting and operating this lucrative business.
Advantages of Pigeon Farming
Pigeon farming has some great benefits. It’s very easy to start this business. Here we are trying to describe the top advantages of this business.
- Pigeons are domestic birds and it’s very easy to handle them.
- Commercial pigeon farming is not a new business idea. People are raising pigeons for food or as pets from a long time ago.
- From their six month of age, female pigeons start laying eggs and produce two baby pigeons per month on an average.
- Pigeons can be raised easily in the home yard and roof of the house.
- You can also utilize your backyard for raising some pigeons.
- It takes about 18 days to hatch their eggs.
- Baby pigeon (squab) become suitable for consumption within their 3 to 4 weeks of age.
- You can build a pigeon house in a small place with little investment.
- Feeding costs for keeping pigeons is very low. In most cases they collect food from wild if you let them to roam freely.
- Pigeon meat is very tasty, nutritious and has a great demand and value in the market.
- Pigeon farming is also very pleasing and entertaining. You can spent some good times through watching the activities of pigeons.
- You can get maximum profit form them, by investing small capital and labor.
- Diseases are comparatively less in pigeons.
- Closet of pigeon is a good manure for crop cultivation.
- Different types of toys can be made by using the feather of pigeons.
- Pigeons help to keep the environment safe by eating different types of insects.
- The squab has has a great demand in the market as a good patient’s diet.
- Pigeons start laying eggs at their 5 to 6 months of age.
- Pigeon farming can be a great income source for the people of some poor countries.
- You can utilize your family labor for raising pigeons.
- Commercial pigeon farming is very profitable. And it can be a good income source for the rural people. Especially for women and children.
- Pigeon meat is very nutritious and healthy. And you can enjoy pigeon meat if you raise pigeons in your own farm.
Life Cycle of Pigeons
Generally pigeons are raised in pair. One pair of male and female pigeon stay together for their whole life. They can survive for about 12 to 15 years.
Male and female both collect straw together and build a small nest for them to live. Female pigeons start laying eggs at their 5-6 months of age. They lay two eggs every time and their breeding capability stays for about 5 years or even more.
Both male and female pigeons hatch the eggs. Usually it takes about 17 to 18 days to hatch the eggs.
The stomach of baby pigeon contains crop milk, which they eat for 4 days. Female pigeon feed their baby for ten days by their lips. After that, they start taking supplementary food by their own. At their age of 26 days, they become adult.
How to Start Pigeon Farming Business
Staring pigeon farming business is very easy and simple. Even the beginners can raise some pigeons.
Here we are trying to describe more information about starting and operating a successful pigeon farming business.
Select Good Pigeon Breeds
There are about three hundred pigeon breeds available around the world. Pigeon breeds are of two types which are described below.
- Meat Pigeon Breeds: White king, Texona, Silver king, Gola, Lokha, etc. are meat pigeon breeds.
- Entertaining: Moyurponkhi, Shirazi, Lohore, Fantail, Jacobin, Frillback, Modena, Trumpeter, Trubit, Mukhi, Giribaz, Templar, Lotal etc. are most popular entertaining pigeons.
Generally, the main purpose of pigeon farming is their meat. The meat of baby pigeon is soft and tasty than the adult one. Weight of some fleshy squab productive pigeon breeds are described below.
Housing is very important factor for pigeon farming. Keep in mind the following factors before making house for your pigeons.
- Built their house in a higher place. This will keep the pigeons free from dog, cat, mouse and some other harmful predators.
- Ensure huge flow of air and light inside the house.
- Prevent the entrance of rain water directly inside the house.
- The house can be build by thin wood or tin, bamboo or with packing boxes.
- Every pigeon requires about 30 cm long, 30 cm high and 30 cm wide space.
- Every room of the pigeon house have to have the facility of staying two pigeons.
- The house will be adjoining to each other and polyhedral.
- Keep a door on every room measuring 10×10 cm.
- Always try to keep the house clean and dry.
- Clean the house once or twice per month.
- Keep the food and water pot near the house.
- Keep some straw near the house, so that the pigeons can make bed for them.
- Keep water and sand near the house, as they clean their body by water and dust.
Feeding the birds with very good quality and nutritious food is the most important part of commercial pigeon farming business.
Pigeons generally eat wheat, maize, paddy, rice, enamel, legume, triticum aestivus mustard, gram etc. Keep foods in front of their house and they will take the food as much as they need.
You have to serve them balanced feed for proper growing, good health and for proper production.
You can also serve them balanced feed, prepared for the chickens. Pigeon feed should contain 15-16 % protein.
Every pigeon consume 35-50 grams of grainy feed daily. For fast growing of baby pigeon and for nutrition of adult, feed them oyster shell, lime stone, bone powder, salt, greet mixture, mineral mixture etc. with their regular feed.
Along with this, feed them some green vegetables daily. A chart of balanced feed for pigeons mentioned below.
|Feed Ingredients||Amount (kg)|
|Broken Wheat||2.8 kg|
|Broken Maize||2.2 kg|
|Broken Gram||1.0 kg|
|Soybean Cake||0.8 kg|
|Rice Bran||1.8 kg|
What to Feed Baby Pigeons
Baby pigeons (squab) don’t need extra feed for 5-7 days. They take crop milk from their parent’s stomach. Which is known as pigeon milk.
Male and female pigeon used to feed their baby in this way for about 10 days. After that, they become able to fly and can eat food of their own. Keep fresh feed and clean water near their house.
Keep water pot near their house. They will drink and take bath from that water pot. Clean the water pot daily. Always try to serve them sufficient amount of clean water.
Generally male and female pigeons stay in pairs. They are naturally very good breeders.
During laying period they collect straw and make a small nest. Female pigeons start laying eggs when they reach 5 to 6 months of age.
They lay a pair of eggs nearly after one month. Both male and female pigeon hatch the eggs one after another. It takes about 17 to 18 days to hatch the eggs.
If artificial nest needed, make it. As the eggs are very small in size, so squab production is very profitable than consuming the eggs.
Diseases & Health Problems
Like other domestic poultry birds, pigeons are also susceptible to some diseases and other health problems.
Although, diseases in pigeons are comparatively less than any other poultry birds. They can suffer by TB, paratyphoid, cholera, pox, newcastle, influenza etc.
They can also suffer by various louse and malnutritious diseases. Taking preventive methods is always recommended for controlling diseases.
Call a vet immediately, if you notice any disease or health problem in your pigeons.
Caring & Other Management
Taking good care of the birds is very important for pigeon farming business. Good caring not only helps the birds to grow better, but also helps them to stay healthy.
So try to take good care of your birds. Here we are trying to describe about some caring tasks:
- Always try to follow advice from an experienced veterinarian.
- Always try to keep the house clean and germ free. Hygiene rearing system is a must for keeping your birds healthy.
- Separate the disease affected bird from healthy birds.
- Vaccinate them timely.
- Keep them free from worms.
- Feed them balanced food to prevent malnutritious diseases.
- Use medicine for removing louse from their body.
This is another important part of successful pigeon farming business. Because your venture will not be much profitable if you can market your products easily. So, try to determine the marketing strategies before starting this business. Most probably, you will be able to sell your products in the local market, or any nearest town.
These are the common steps and ways for starting and operating a successful pigeon farming business. Hope this guide has helped you! Good luck & may God bless you!
Frequently Asked Questions
People ask many questions about pigeon farming business. Here we are trying to list the most common questions about this business, and trying to answer them. Hope you will find your answer. Don’t hesitate to ask us if you have more questions.
Is pigeon farming profitable?
Yes, commercial production of pigeon is a profitable business. Many people around the world are doing this business for making money. Commercial pigeon farming requires less investment, but returns are much higher.
How to start pigeon farming business?
Starting a commercial pigeon production business is relatively easy. First of all you have to select a suitable location, then build house for them, select the breed you want to raise, purchase the birds, feed them good quality and nutritious food and start taking good care of them.
Why do people farm pigeons?
People farm pigeons for many different purposes. Pigeons are generally kept for meat, hobby and just for making money by selling pigeons.
How fast does pigeon grow?
Pigeons grow relatively faster than many other poultry birds. Most of the pigeons take about 4 weeks to grow up after hatching.
Which pigeon is best for meat?
The best pigeons for meat production are:
- French Mondain
- White King
- Giant Homers and
- Red Carneau
How much do pigeon breeders make?
Depends on numerous factors, and it’s not possible to tell the exact amount. Please consult with some existing breeders in your area.
How much space does a pigeon need?
Pigeons are smaller sized birds and they require relatively less housing space. A nest measuring 1 feet long and 1 feet wide will be enough for a pair.
What should I feed my pigeons?
You can feed them grains, seeds etc. Some commercial pigeon keepers also provide their birds with poultry feeds.
Why do people buy pigeons?
People buy pigeons for many different purposes. Some buy for meat, some buy as a hobby, some buy pigeons for raising as pets.
Is there money in pigeons?
Yes, pigeon farming is highly profitable. But determine your marketing strategies before starting this business commercially.
What are the benefits of raising pigeons?
There are numerous benefits of raising pigeons such as:
- They require less caring.
- Handling pigeons is very easy.
- Pigeons start breeding from their 5-6 months of age.
- They require relatively less space and food.
- Require less investment, but profits are good.
- Diseases and other health problems are less in pigeons.
- Pigeons eat insects and save the environment.
- Demand and value of pigeons in the market are good.
- Commercial production is very profitable.
Can you eat pigeon eggs?
Yes, sure! But you should not do so. Pigeons are not good layers. They lay only two eggs and hatch them. If you eat the eggs, you will lose some birds.
Can pigeons live with chickens?
Yes, in most cases pigeons can live with chickens.
What to feed breeding pigeons?
You can feed wheat or rice to your breeding pigeons.
How many times pigeon lay eggs in a year?
4-6 times depending on the breed. And lay only 2 eggs in each brood.
What is the lifespan of a pigeon?
Can vary depending upon the breed. But their average lifespan is around or up to 6 years.
Who eats pigeon meat?
Pigeon meat is eaten in almost every countries around the world.
Is pigeon meat good for health?
Yes, pigeon meat is good for health, and it is healthy meat than chickens.
Do pigeons need sunlight?
Yes, sunlight is essential for pigeons for producing natural vitamin D.
Do pigeons eat raw rice?
Yes, pigeons can eat raw rice.
How many times a day should you feed a pigeon?
You should feed a pigeon at least twice a day.
Is it hard to keep pigeons?
No, raising pigeons is very easy and simple.
How do you take care of pigeons?
Caring pigeons is very easy. Common pigeon caring tasks include making their nest comfortable, cleaning the house regularly, keeping their environment dry, feeding them good quality food, providing them with required medications etc.
7 thoughts on “Pigeon Farming: A Profitable Business For Beginners”
Wanting to get into raising racing pigeons, and would like to have some pamplets or subscribe to a magazine explaining how to get into them, and raise them.
I want pamphlets and contacts of breeders in Kenya
I started being serious about pigeons 2020. although since from an early childhood age ive always keep a pigeon in my back yard…now im training my son to care for pigeons…i know have 10 pigeons they were 11 one died this afternoon
I want to do Maltese pigeon farming as my project for both meat n other reasons..how can I help me get the information
I want to start raising pegions in Malawi. need a pumphlet
Am in Nigeria and I really like to rear those beautiful pigeons , how do I gat them?
I have them but am in kenya