There are hundreds of highly productive poultry breeds available around the world. Some of them are very famous for egg production, some are popular for meat production and some breeds are famous and popular for both meat and egg production.
Poultry breeds are of three types, on the basis of their productivity. We have described the name and characteristics of some productive poultry breeds below.
Egg Productive Poultry Breeds (Layers)
The chickens raised for egg production are known as layer chickens. Almost all types of commercial layer poultry breed start laying eggs within their five to six month of age.
They continuously lay about 275 to 300 eggs per year. Some strain lay about 330 eggs per year. Some highly egg productive breeds are leghorn, minorca, ancona, fayoumi, isa brown, babcock, star cross, lohmann etc.
- Comparatively weights less than other poultry breeds.
- Gain sexual maturity earlier.
- Less egg incubating trend.
- Start laying eggs within their five to six month of age.
- Converting efficiency of food to egg is very high.
- Contain less fat in their body.
- Egg producing power is very high.
- Lay big sized eggs.
Meat Productive Poultry Breeds (Broilers)
This type of poultry birds are used for only meat production purpose. Their meat become very soft and tasty. They weights about 2 to 2.5 kg within their 7 to 8 weeks of age, consuming about 4 kg food.
- Comparatively weights much than other poultry breeds.
- Don’t incubate their eggs.
- Food to meat converting efficiency is very high.
- Grow very fast.
- Contain much fat in their body.
- Egg producing power is very low.
- They become very big sized.
Dual-Purpose Poultry Breeds
- This types of poultry breeds are of medium sized.
- Weight high.
- They may have trend for hatching eggs.
- Lay less eggs than egg productive breeds.
- They contain proper ratio of fat in their body.
- Grows very well.
- Gain maturity very fast.