Layer poultry farming is a very common and popular business throughout the world. Starting this business is very easy and simple, even the beginners can also raise them.
Actually layer poultry farming means, ‘raising eggs producing birds for the purpose of eggs production’. For example, we can start raising chickens, quails or ducks for commercial eggs production purpose.
Commercial layer poultry production is a very profitable business. You can start this business in small scale, if you are a beginner.
But today, large scale or commercial production is becoming popular gradually. Because it’s a great way to make good profit.
You will start getting eggs from the poultry birds as early as their 12-20 weeks of age. And most of the commercial layer poultry birds start laying eggs regularly at their 25 weeks of age.
Today, people are raising layer poultry birds in many different methods such as free range system, cage system, deep litter system etc. Whatever system you choose, you have to ensure good care and good security of your birds for getting maximum production.
Advantages of Layer Poultry Farming
There are some benefits or advantages of starting a layer poultry farming business. Here we are trying to describe more about the top advantages of starting layer poultry farming business.
- Starting a layer poultry farm for eggs production is very easy. And it’s the main benefit of layer poultry farming business. Even the beginners can also start this business.
- You can start both small scale and commercial production depending on your budget.
- Small scale layer production doesn’t require high capital. But you will need good amount of money for starting a large scale production. The good news is ‘you can apply for bank loan for starting this business’.
- You can raise many birds in a small place.
- You can even raise some layer birds in your backyard.
- Although commercial production require high investment, but the ROI is good. You will be able to make good profit from your investment.
- Eggs are very popular throughout the world. So, you don’t have to worry about marketing your products. You will probably be able to easily sell your products in the local market.
- Eggs are great source of protein and have very good demand in the market.
- As commercial layer poultry production is profitable, so it can be a great employment source for the rural people. Especially for the educated unemployed young people.
- Commercial layer poultry production is a great way to ensure food security.
- You and your family members can enjoy fresh eggs if you start raising your own layer birds.
How to Start Layer Poultry Farming Business
Starting small scale layer poultry production for family consumption and earning a little is very easy and simple. Even the beginners can start such small scale production.
But starting commercial production require a lot of equipment and it also require a lot of knowledge. So, we recommend having training from an institute or from an expert before starting commercial production.
Select A Good Location
First of all, you have to select a very good location for starting your layer poultry farming business.
You can raise the birds in a corner of your house or in backyard if you want to raise a few birds.
But select a safe, secure and calm place if you want to start commercial production. It will be better if the selected area is far from the residential area.
Ensure water, electricity and good transportation facilities are available in your selected area.
Select The Right Breed
Selecting the right breed for your business is very important. You can select breeds which are available and popular in your area. Chickens, quails and ducks are common poultry birds used for commercial eggs production.
If you choose quails, then Japanese, Tuxedo, Pharaoh, British Range, English White and Manchurian Golden will good for eggs production.
Making a good house is very important for keeping your birds safe from predators, adverse weather and other problems. A hygiene house will also help to keep your birds healthy and diseases free.
Most of the commercial poultry birds are smaller in size and they require relatively less housing space. Exact amount can vary depending on the breed.
Install good ventilation system, and ensure flow of sufficient amount of fresh and clean air inside the house.
Feeding & Watering
Feeding the birds with very good quality and nutritious food is the most important part of layer poultry farming business.
Poultry birds generally require protein rich food. So, ensure adequate amount of protein is available in their diet.
Today, there are many companies available throughout the world which are producing ready-made feeds for the laying birds. You can use such feeds for feeding your layer birds.
And along with feeding the birds with quality feeds, always try to provide them with adequate amount of clean and fresh water.
Most of the poultry birds are good breeders, and they will produce fertile eggs if you keep good ratio of male and female birds in the flock.
Although, commercial producers don’t let their birds to breed, rather they purchase the chicks from hatcheries.
Caring & Other Management
Taking good care of the birds is very important for successful layer poultry farming business. Good caring will keep them healthy, and you will be able to get maximum production.
Monitor the health of the birds regularly, and vaccinate them timely. And always try to keep good contact with the vet in your area.
Never provide the birds with contaminated feeds or polluted water. And always try to clean the house on a regular basis.
Poultry products have very good demand and value in the market. So, you will probably be able to easily sell the products in the market.
Although, it is better to set your marketing strategies before starting this business. You will be able to make good profit from this business if you can sell your products at good price.
These are the common steps and ways for starting and operating a successful layer poultry farming business. Hope this business guide has helped you! Good luck & may God bless you!