Silver carp fish originated from China. It is very suitable fish breed for commercial fish farming and grow very fast. Silver carp is a freshwater fish. It is very suitable fish for polyculture with other carp fish. It is generally a fish of southeast Asia. But nowadays it is available all over the world. Physical characteristics, classification, food habit and breeding of silver carp fishes are described below.
Classification of Silver Carp Fish
Scientific classification of silver carp fish are listed below.
- Kingdom : Animalia
- Phylum : Chordata
- Class : Actinopterygii
- Order : Cypriniformes
- Family : Cyprnidae
- Genus : Hypophthalmichthys
- Species : H. molitrix
- Scientific Name : Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
The physical characteristics of silver carp fishes are listed below.
- The body of silver carp fishes are covered with small sized scales.
- The belly part is more convex than the back side part.
- The middle part of the body is wide and back side is narrow.
- Back side is slightly gray colored.
- Silver carp fish has dorsal, pectoral, pelvic, anal and caudal fins.
- This carp fish is very fast growing.
- Gain sexual maturity earlier than other carp fish species.
Silver carp fish lives in the upper level of water. And eat feed from the upper water level. This carp fish species generally like small plants and leaves. They also eat decomposed water plant.
Silver carp fishes don’t lay eggs in the pond. In favorable condition and environment they lays eggs in open water reservoir. Minnow of silver carp fish can also be produced artificially in the hatchery.