Saanen goat originated from Saanen Valley of Switzerland. They are the largest among all the dairy goat breeds. They are mainly raised for commercial milk production like jamunapari and alpine goat. A female Saanen goat produces about 3.8 liters milk daily.
Nowadays, Saanen goats are being raised throughout the world. In United States this breed is one of the best and preferred dairy goat mainly for their consistency in producing large amounts of milk in accordance with their sturdiness, easy keepability and ability to tolerate environmental changes. The main benefits of raising Saanen goat is that, their care and management is very easy (even a child can take care of them) and they produces milk highly. Characteristics, feeding, breeding, housing and care of Saanen goat are described below.
- Mainly Saanen goats are of white colored. But sometimes biscuit colored goats can be seen.
- There may some black spots in the nose, ears and udder of this goat.
- The ears are straight to upwards.
- Generally they have no horns.
- Small sized legs.
- Udder become very big sized.
- Long sized neck.
- Their whole body is covered with small sized hair.
- The produces milk highly among all the dairy goat breeds.
- They can adopt themselves with the weather of any region of the world.
- They love to stay under shade and can’t tolerate sunlight highly.
- An adult male Saanen goat weights about 70-90 kg and an adult female goat weights about 60-70 kg.
- On an average a female goat produces about 3.8 liters milk daily.
- Their milk contain about 3.5% fat. And this milk is very suitable for preparing all types of dairy or milk products.
As Saanen goats are highly milk productive so, they need some extra protein and energy with their regular feed. Along with fresh and good food always provide them fresh and clean water regularly. See what to feed goats.
Saanen goats typically breed every year. And each time produce one or a pair of kids. Take extra care of breeding bucks and pregnant does.
Housing is very important for Saanen goats. Because they love to stay in shady place and can’t tolerate heavy sunlight. A good house also protects them from all types of predators, adverse conditions and all types of diseases.
Saanen Goat Care
It is very easy to raise Saanen goat. They don’t need any special and extra care. You can raise them with your other animal easily. Even a child can raise and take care of them easily. But taking some extra care and management will increase their health and production.
- Always feed your goat fresh and good quality food which has proper nutrition value and enriched with all necessary feed ingredients.
- Milking process of your goat should done twice a day.
- Try to make a fence around your farm area and always keep the goats inside the farm.
- Ensure sufficient supply of fresh air and light inside their house.
- Clean the house and used equipment of goat regularly.
- Always keep the house dry.
- Keep the male goats separated from the female.
- Take some extra care of the pregnant goats, breeding bucks and kids.
- Provide them sufficient fresh and clean water.
- If needed call a veterinarian as soon as possible.