Poultry farming in Nigeria is already and established and profitable business idea. The economy of Nigeria is mostly dependent on farming or agriculture sector.
Poultry farming in Nigeria can play a important role in the total national income of the country and fulfill the annual nutrition demands.
Some report shows that, commercial poultry farming in Nigeria has made many people millionaire.
So, if you are a beginner and want to start poultry farming business in Nigeria then try to learn more and more about poultry raising in Nigeria.
Read a lots of books, magazines, websites and visit practically as much farm as possible to learn some practical knowledge.
Why Poultry Farming in Nigeria?
There are many reasons of starting poultry farming business in Nigeria. I am describing here, the main advantages of poultry farming in Nigeria.
- Poultry farming in Nigeria is a lucrative business opportunity for individuals and Entrepreneurs.
- Commercial poultry farming creates great employment opportunities for the job seeking people.
- Poultry farming is such a great business that can never dry up.
- Poultry birds provide us eggs and meat that is great source of nutritious food.
- If you want to start poultry farming in Nigeria, then you don’t have to think about the marketing process. Because there is already a suitable market for poultry products from the ancient time.
- There are no tribal, regional or religious taboo about consuming poultry products like eggs and meat. Almost every people likes poultry eggs and meat.
- There are many poultry breeds available. You can choose any according to your desired production.
- Great business idea with very good ROI ratio. Anyone can start raising poultry in domestic and commercial purpose.
- Domestic poultry farming in Nigeria can meet up the family nutrition demands. On the other hand, commercial poultry raising is a great income and employment source.
- Steps for Starting Poultry Farming in Nigeria
How to Start Poultry Farming In Nigeria
If you want to start poultry farming in Nigeria, follow the step by step tasks mentioned below.
The main thing required for setting up poultry farming business is a piece of suitable land. Generally, a plot of land of 120*60 square meters is suitable for setting up a medium sized poultry farm in Nigeria.
The size of land depends on the number of birds you want to raise and the farming system. Acquiring land is the most expensive part of commercial poultry farming business in Nigeria.
Try to buy the land far from the town or big cities. Select a fresh environment and pollution free area. It will be better if you can buy the land in a rural area.
Because, land and labors are highly available in a cheaper rate in the rural areas. Establishing a poultry farm in a rented land is absolutely a bad idea.
However, while selecting land, keep in mind some important facilities like great source of water, free from all types of animals and predators, a market near the farm, proper transportation facilities etc.
According to the weather and climate of Nigeria, there are three profitable systems of raising poultry.
- Extensive system,
- Semi-intensive system and
- Intensive poultry farming system.
There are three types of breed which are very suitable for commercial poultry farming in Nigeria. You can select any for your farm.
Modern poultry breeds are highly productive and commercial raising is also very profitable. Modern layers produce more eggs than traditional breeds and broilers grow faster than ever.
Selecting proper breeds for commercial production depends on you. Before starting, determine what type of product do you want to produce. Three types of common and commercial poultry breeds are shortly described below.
- Layers: Layer poultry breeds are used for commercial egg production. If you want to produce eggs commercially, select highly productive layer breeds.
- Broilers: Broiler poultry are very fast growing poultry breeds. Generally, they gain slaughter weight within a very short time by consuming certain amount of food. And they are used for commercial meat production.
- Cockerels: Cockerels are another types of meat productive poultry breeds. Cockerel has a special demand for some people. Generally, they grow slower than other breeds. But very hardy and can survive and adopt themselves in almost all types of environment.
According to your desired production select proper breed. Each type of poultry breed need special type of care and management.
So, select proper breed and take good care of your birds to be successful in poultry farming in Nigeria.
Good housing is very important for commercial poultry farming in Nigeria. Housing system depends on the poultry breeds and farming method.
Housing design varies in accordance with various types of poultry raising methods. Follow the tips mentioned below while building suitable house for your poultry birds.
- First of all, the poultry house must have to be well ventilated. Well ventilation system keeps the bird healthy and productive.
- Make a suitable system for entrancing sufficient amount of fresh air and light inside the house.
- Try to make the house north to south faced.
- In case of making numerous houses, the distance between one house to another house would be about 40 feet.
- Before bringing the chick inside the farm, clean the house and entire farm area properly.
- Make deep liter clean it regularly.
- You can use some cheap materials like wooden or rice bran for making liter.
- Keep the feeding and watering equipment in proper distance form each other according to the number of birds and farming systems. And always clean all types of equipment regularly.
- Ensure that, your birds are free from all types of animals, insects or predators inside the house.
- House will be located in calm and quite place free from pollution and noise.
- In a word the house must have to have all types of required facilities for poultry birds. And this is one of the major conditions of success for poultry farming in Nigeria.
Good and high quality food keeps the bird healthy and highly productive. Good quality fresh and nutritious food is the key to success in poultry farming business.
Always provide adequate amount of food according to the number and age of poultry birds. Along with feeding good foods, always supply sufficient amount of clean and fresh water according to the daily demands of poultry. See poultry feed, broiler poultry feed and layer poultry feed.
Care and Management
Poultry birds are very sensitive and may caught by diseases easily. Generally they suffer by various types of viral, bacterial, fungal, nutritional and parasitic diseases.
Proper vaccination is a must for keeping your birds diseases free, healthy and productive. So, vaccinate the birds timely.
If somehow, diseases occurs in the farm then meet a vet doctor as soon as possible and listen to his advice.
Easy to market of poultry products is the main benefits of poultry farming in Nigeria. There is already an established market for poultry eggs and meat with huge demand.
So, you don’t have to think about marketing your products. You can sell your products in both local markets and big cities.
According to the above discussion, poultry farming in Nigeria is really lucrative and great business idea. As it is an already established business, so all types of necessary facilities are available. You just need some capital and practical knowledge for starting poultry farming in Nigeria.
5 thoughts on “Start Profitable Poultry Farming in Nigeria For Money”
how much will it cost to open a comacial puretry business
Depends on many factors. Please consult with an existing farmer in your area for learning more. Good luck!
Commercially, depending on the number of birds you want and the types of birds you wish to choose and go into. With 500k you can kick start your business with 100 Layers. Note this amount doesn’t cover land and caging.
My contact: 08130932392 in case you need my mentorship
I’m Bakare an Agro consultant (Poultrynomist) with a broader knowledge on Poultry farming market prediction, forecasting, farm analysis which include feeding analysis (ratio), i also have an E-book on Poultry farming Business not yet officially launch but in for market with testimonies from customers , here is my number if you have task for me 07054478690.
I’m very much interested in becoming a poltry farmer, I hope to learn more from this Page. Thanks for what I’ve learnt today.