Commercial pig farming in Kenya is one of the most lucrative business ventures. The people who have started pig farming in Kenya are now producing high quality meat and making good profits. Pigs can be raised in both small or large scale commercial venture for providing food and nutrition to the family and total country or just for making high profit.
Pig farming in Kenya is relatively simple as compared to other forms of livestock farming. Here I am describing the benefits and step by step process of starting pig farming in Kenya.
Benefits of Pig Farming in Kenya
According to the condition of Kenya, pig farming has many advantages. The main benefits of pig farming in Kenya are listed below.
- Pigs grow faster than other livestock animals and reproduction system takes less time.
- They grow faster by converting more nutrient/energy into protein.
- You can feed your pigs almost everything including roughage, kitchen garbage, agricultural waste etc. for reducing feeding cost.
- You can fulfill your daily family nutrition demands by setting up small scale pig farming in Kenya.
- You can start raising pigs with a very little investment. As pigs grow very fast, so you can turn your farm into a commercial stage within a very short time.
- Sow give birth of piglets twice a year and each time they produce about 10 piglets. And the gestation period is also very less (not more than 115 days).
- Pig farming in Kenya has a good return of investment (ROI) ratio.
- The weather and geographical location of Kenya is suitable for starting pig farming business.
- Pig meat has a huge demand in the market of Kenya.
- Great source of employment for the unemployed people. Even the unemployed educated people can also start commercial pig farming business in Kenya.
- You can also start raising pigs along with your current profession.
Starting Pig Farming in Kenya
Setting up commercial pig farming in Kenya is not so easy. There are may things to consider and many tasks to do. However, here I am describing shortly the steps for starting pig farming business in Kenya.
Selecting Suitable Farm Land
Selecting a suitable land is very important for starting pig farming in Kenya. A suitable land with availability of all types of necessary facilities ensure proper growth, good health, proper marketing and maximum profit from pig farming business. Determine the area and size of farm land according to the number of pigs in your farm. While selecting lands for pig farming in Kenya, consider the followings.
- Try to select a calm and quiet place far from the residential areas.
- Ensure sufficient supply of fresh water in the farm area. A water source like lake, pond, river etc. will be effective.
- The selected area will be very near from the market. So that you can easily sell your products and buy necessary things from the market.
- Consider availability of veterinary service near your farm land.
- Good transportation system.
- Low cost feeding elements help to reduce food cost. While selecting land consider this.
- Try to select land in village areas. Because in village areas, you can easily find cheap labor, feeding elements and lands.
Select Suitable Breeds
Select proper pig breeds according to your production scale. You can select both local and hybrid pigs for commercial pig farming in Kenya. Generally Large White, Landrace, Yorkshires, Duroc, Hampshire etc. are most profitable pig breeds in Kenya. While choosing proper breeds for your business, consider the following signs in the pigs.
- A pair of bright eyes.
- Glossy coat.
- Alert and responsive to it’s surrounding environment.
- Good temperament.
- Good appeal to food.
- Easy and normal movement.
- Free from lameness or any other unnatural signs.
- Avoid purchasing aggressive pig.
- While purchasing, ask the producer about their health information, production history and other records.
Pigs are very strong and they need sturdy living quarters. Air circulation and shade are vital. Pigs are very sensitive to temperature. Generally, adult pigs are very sensitive to hot temperature and the piglets are affected adversely by cold temperature. So, controlled temperature can help to maximize the growth and production. Keeping the piglets with their mother in a separate house is a good idea. Separate the feeding and bedding place and try to keep the house neat and clean always.
Feeding is the most important part of pig farming in Kenya. Because, good and nutritious food always ensure good production. Pigs can eat and consume both meat and grains. You can feed your pigs almost everything that includes roughage, kitchen garbage, agricultural waste, stalk from beverage companies etc. You can also feed your pigs cooked table scraps, vegetables etc. Corn is the main food of pigs. But, having a diet with protein from soybeans or cooked meat will be effective for pigs. Vitamins and other supplements also help to grow faster. Piglets need higher protein contained food than the adult pigs. Along with sufficient nutritious food, always serve them sufficient amount of fresh and clean water according to their daily demands. Sufficient fresh water helps to keep the pig healthy and this directly impact the profit from pig farming in Kenya.
Pig breeding is very easy. Pure breeding, cross breeding, out breeding and in breeding is the common types of pig breeding models. Most of the pig breeds has a less gestation period of not more than 115 days. Sow produce piglets twice a year and about 10 piglets each time.
There is a huge demand of pig products in the market. Pig products such as pork, bacon, sausages etc. are very popular throughout the whole Kenya. So, you don’t need to worry about marketing your products if you want to start pig farming in Kenya. Sell your pigs in your nearest local market when they gain marketing weights.
Commercial pig farming in Kenya is very popular and profitable business and it is one of the worthwhile activity to engage in. The demand is very high and the market is growing rapidly. But the supply is still limited. So, there is a great opportunities of starting commercial pig farming in Kenya.