The French Mondain pigeon is a breed of domestic fancy pigeon from France. It is a utility breed and was developed over many years of selective breeding.
This breed and all other varieties of domesticated pigeons, all are descendants from the wild or feral rock pigeon. Read some more information about this breed below.
French Mondain Pigeon Appearance
French Mondain pigeon is a large breed with impressive, well-rounded body. These birds have broad body and boxy looking. If seen from the above, they have a tapered look from the wide shoulders to the neat and trim tail.
Average body height of the French Mondain pigeon is about 40 cm. And live body weight of the mature birds is between 850 and 1130 grams. Photo and info from RightPet and Wikipedia.
The French Mondain pigeon is mainly bred as a utility breed. These birds are excellent for meat production.
The French Mondain pigeon is an impressively chunky bird which is mainly raised for food. They squabs grow very fast. But today the breed is also raised for show purpose.
There is some dispute about which birds are true French Mondains, so if you are planning to show your birds, it is important to educate yourself about your club’s standards.
If properly handled from an early age, these birds make excellent pets and become very tame. Average lifespan of these birds is about 7 to 10 years.
However, review full breed profile of this breed in the following chart.
|Utility, exhibition, pets
|Beautiful birds, attractive appearance, excellent for exhibition purpose, very good for utility purpose, good for raising as pets, fast growers, easily tamed
|Country/Place of Origin
French Mondain Pigeon Facts
Here are the best interesting facts about the French Mondain pigeon:
- The French Mondain pigeon is a breed of domestic pigeon that originated in France, where it has been bred for hundreds of years.
- The breed is known for its large size, with males weighing up to 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) and females weighing up to 1.3 kg (2.8 lbs).
- French Mondain pigeons have a distinctive appearance, with a broad and rounded head, a short beak, and a prominent chest.
- The breed is known for its friendly and outgoing personality, making it a popular choice as a pet and show bird.
- French Mondain pigeons come in a variety of colors and patterns, including blue, black, red, and white.
- The breed is a good choice for novice pigeon keepers, as they are easy to care for and require minimal maintenance.
- French Mondain pigeons are a hardy breed that is able to tolerate a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions.
- The breed is adaptable to a variety of living environments, including both urban and rural settings.
- French Mondain pigeons are a non-flight breed, meaning they are unable to fly long distances and are best kept in a secure enclosure.
- The breed is known for its strong homing instincts, making it a popular choice for racing and exhibition purposes.
- French Mondain pigeons have a relatively long lifespan, with some birds living up to 20 years or more.
- The breed is valued for its meat and is considered a delicacy in some parts of France.
- French Mondain pigeons are docile and easy to handle, making them a good choice for children and families.
- The breed is also known for its intelligence and ability to learn new behaviors and tricks.
- French Mondain pigeons require a balanced diet that includes a mix of grains, seeds, and fresh vegetables.
- The breed requires access to clean water at all times, and water should be changed regularly to prevent contamination.
- French Mondain pigeons are social animals and should be kept in pairs or small groups to prevent loneliness and boredom.
- The breed requires a clean and well-ventilated living environment to prevent the buildup of ammonia and other harmful gases.
- French Mondain pigeons require regular grooming, including nail trimming and feather maintenance, to keep them healthy and comfortable.
- The breed is a valuable addition to any pigeon fancier’s collection, and its unique appearance and friendly personality make it a popular choice as a pet and show bird.
Tips for Raising French Mondain Pigeons
Here are best tips to help you raise healthy and happy French Mondain pigeons:
- Choose high-quality breeding stock: When selecting breeding stock, it is important to choose birds with good conformation, strong genetics, and a track record of good breeding performance. Look for birds with a healthy appearance, a friendly temperament, and a track record of producing healthy offspring.
- Provide a spacious living environment: French Mondain pigeons require plenty of space to move around and exercise. The recommended space per bird is at least 10 square feet (1 square meter) in a coop or aviary.
- Provide clean water: French Mondain pigeons require access to clean, fresh water at all times. Ensure that the water sources are kept clean and free from contamination, and provide enough waterers for all of the birds in your flock.
- Provide a balanced diet: French Mondain pigeons require a balanced diet that includes a mix of grains, seeds, and fresh vegetables. Ensure that the feed is properly mixed and delivered at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Provide enrichment activities: Enrichment activities, such as perches, toys, and nesting materials, can help keep your birds active and engaged. This can improve their overall health and well-being, as well as their breeding performance.
- Monitor flock health: French Mondain pigeons are susceptible to a range of health issues, including respiratory diseases, parasites, and reproductive problems. Monitor the health of your flock closely, and work with a veterinarian to develop a vaccination and treatment plan.
- Practice good biosecurity: French Mondain pigeons can be vulnerable to a range of diseases, so it is important to practice good biosecurity measures to prevent the spread of disease. This includes quarantining new birds, limiting visitors to your farm, and regularly disinfecting equipment and facilities.
- Provide nesting boxes: French Mondain pigeons require nesting boxes that are clean, dry, and well-ventilated. Ensure that the boxes are placed in a quiet and secluded area to provide privacy for the birds.
- Monitor breeding performance: French Mondain pigeons are valued for their breeding performance, so it is important to monitor their egg production and hatch rates closely. Use a breeding log to track individual bird performance, and work with a nutritionist to adjust the diet as needed.
- Keep the living environment clean: French Mondain pigeons produce a lot of manure, so it is important to keep the living environment clean and well-ventilated to prevent the buildup of ammonia and other harmful gases. Use a regular cleaning schedule and provide plenty of clean bedding.
- Provide proper lighting: French Mondain pigeons require proper lighting to maintain their breeding performance. Use artificial lighting to provide around 14-16 hours of light per day during the breeding season.
- Use proper handling procedures: Proper handling procedures are essential for maintaining the health and well-being of your birds. This includes using proper sanitation procedures, ensuring that equipment is properly maintained, and using a consistent handling routine.
- Keep predators at bay: Predators, such as hawks and cats, can be a threat to your flock. Use proper fencing and predator-proofing measures to keep your birds safe.
- Implement a biosecurity plan: Implementing a biosecurity plan is essential for maintaining the health of your flock. This includes limiting access to your farm, using proper sanitation procedures, and regularly disinfecting equipment and facilities.
- Be patient: Raising French Mondain pigeons requires patience and a long-term perspective. It can take several years to build a healthy and productive flock, so be prepared to invest timeand effort into your operation.
- Keep records: Keeping records is essential for tracking the performance of individual birds and identifying areas for improvement. This includes tracking breeding performance, flock health, and any other relevant information related to your flock.
- Use technology: Technology can help improve the efficiency and productivity of your operation. This includes using automated feeding and watering systems, tracking software, and other tools to monitor flock health and productivity.
- Network with other pigeon breeders: Networking with other pigeon breeders can provide valuable insights and support. This includes attending industry events, joining pigeon breeder associations, and participating in online forums.
- Train employees: Training employees is critical to the success of any poultry operation. Proper training can help ensure that employees understand proper flock management, handling procedures, and safety protocols.
- Enjoy the process: Finally, it is important to enjoy the process of raising French Mondain pigeons. These birds are a valuable addition to any pigeon breeder’s collection, providing both show value and as a source of meat.