Racing homing pigeons is a enjoyable and a great source of entertainment. Pigeon racing is actually the sport of releasing pigeons which are trained specially for racing.
And after releasing, the birds will then return to their homes over a carefully measured distance.
The time it takes the bird to cover the specified distance is measured.
And the bird’s rate of travel is calculated and compared with all of the other pigeons which participate in the racing, for determining which bird returned at the highest speed.
Generally homing pigeons are used and are very good for pigeon racing. The Racing Homer is considered as the best pigeon breed for racing homing pigeons.
The pigeons which participate in the competition are especially trained.
They are trained to fly higher for long time, and from long distances. Racing distances can vary from 100 km, to 1,000 km.
Pigeon racing is a very exciting and wonderful sport. The races can be won and lost by seconds. and there are many different types of timing and measuring devices available.
The racing pigeons are generally kept together in a dovecote or loft which is specially designed for them.
They are kept in such loft from their 4-6 weeks of age until the end of the racing career. The loft is the home for the racing pigeons.
Racing Homing Pigeons
There are some steps to follow for racing homing pigeons. If you are willing to participate in a pigeon racing competition, then you must have to follow these steps.
Here we are describing more about the steps of racing homing pigeons.
Join Your Local Pigeon Racing Club
First of all, you have to find a local pigeon racing club and join. There are many pigeon racing clubs, and you should join the local club in your area.
Attend Racing Events
After joining a racing club, you will need to attend racing events (held by the club) and observe some racing.
You can get update news about racing event through social media or newsletter from the club.
Consult With Existing Racers
If you are a beginner in racing homing pigeons, you need to consult with some existing pigeon racers for learning more about pigeon racing.
The more you get advice from the experts, the better chances to win a competition.
Bring Your Pigeons In the Racing Events
You will be able to enter your birds in races, after becoming member of a pigeon club. As a beginner, you should participate shorter race.
So, check with your club for determining the best race for beginners.
It’s a good idea to try different pigeons in different races to see how they perform.
Race Your Pigeons
The race organizers generally determine the place from where the race will start.
They will determine the actual distance between the release point and your home loft.
For calculating the speed of the pigeons, the organizers will use the distance plus the time the birds take to travel. And the pigeons with highest flying speed will win the race. Good luck!
Interesting Facts About Racing Homing Pigeons
Here are some top interesting facts about racing homing pigeons”
- Homing pigeons can fly at speeds of up to 80 mph.
- The longest recorded flight by a homing pigeon was over 7,200 miles, from France to England.
- Pigeons have been used for messenger purposes for centuries, including during both World War I and World War II.
- Racing homing pigeons have been bred for specific traits, including speed, endurance, and navigational ability.
- Pigeons have an incredible sense of hearing, and can hear sounds at frequencies that are too high for humans to detect.
- Homing pigeons are highly intelligent birds and have the ability to recognize individual human faces.
- The sport of racing homing pigeons is highly competitive, with large cash prizes awarded to the winners of major races.
- The American Racing Pigeon Union is the largest organization in the world dedicated to the sport of racing homing pigeons, with over 10,000 members.
- The sport of racing homing pigeons has been criticized by some animal rights activists, who argue that it places undue stress on the birds and may result in injuries or death.
- Racing homing pigeons requires a significant amount of time, effort, and dedication. Pigeon fanciers must provide their birds with a proper diet, clean living conditions, and regular training in order to prepare them for racing.
- Homing pigeons have been used for scientific research, including studies on navigation, communication, and genetics.
- The homing pigeon was the first bird species to have its genome sequenced, providing valuable insights into the genetics of navigation and homing behavior.
- Pigeons are social animals and form strong bonds with their mates and offspring. They are also known for their loyalty and have been used as symbols of love and devotion in literature and art.
- The sport of racing homing pigeons has a long and rich history, dating back to the ancient Greeks and Romans.
- Racing homing pigeons is not just a hobby, but a way of life for many pigeon fanciers. It provides a sense of community and camaraderie, as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty and intelligence of these amazing birds.
1 thought on “Racing Homing Pigeons: Best 15 Facts”
It’s always good when talking about homers/racing pigeons to have a correct picture. That image is of a show racer or similar. They are for show and unsuited to flying races.