Rabbit farming in India is a very profitable and enjoyable business. You can raise rabbits for both making profit and as a pet. Rabbits are being reared in our country from a long time ago. And it is considered as one of the best animal for farming business.
Weather and climate also very suitable for commercial rabbit farming in India. Here, we are describing shortly the advantages and step by step process of starting rabbit farming business in India.
Advantages of Rabbit Farming in India
Rabbits are small sized animal. There are many advantages of commercial rabbit farming in India. The main advantages are described below.
- Rabbits are small sized animal. So, they require less space, feed, care and management. You can easily raise rabbits in your farm, backyard, terrace and even at home.
- Required capital/investment for starting rabbit farming business is very low. You can start with a very little investment.
- Rabbits grow rapidly and gain maturity very fast like broiler chickens. They become suitable for slaughtering purpose within 4 to 5 months.
- Rabbit meat is very nutritious and tasty. It is lower in cholesterol and fat and higher in protein. All aged and all types of people can easily consume and digest rabbit meat.
- In small scale farming, you can feed your rabbits various types of foods including waste vegetables, easily available leaves, grains available in the home etc.
- Rabbit has a very high reproduction capacity. One female rabbit can give birth of kids after every 30 days and 2 to 8 kids per delivery.
- Rabbit farming in India can also be a great source of income and employment. Unemployed educated young people can create an income and employment opportunities by raising rabbits commercially. And women can also raise some rabbits with other household animals or birds to earn some extra income or to fulfill their daily family nutrition demand. Rabbit farming is also very pleasuring and entertaining. Even, you can do this business with your current job or occupation.
How to Start Rabbit Farming in India
Starting rabbit farming in India is very easy and simple. Follow the step by step process to start rabbit farming in India.
There are numerous breeds available throughout the world. Some of them are highly productive. Some breeds are very suitable for farming in India according to our weather. Most productive and suitable rabbit breeds are listed below. You can choose any of those breeds.
- White Giant
- Grey Giant
- Flemish Giant
- Newzealand White
- Newzealand Red
- Siviet Chinchilla
Rabbits can be raised in both deep litter system and cage system. You can easily make a small shed at the backyard with a very small investment.
Good housing or shed is necessary for keeping the rabbits free from weather conditions, rain, sun and various types of predators like dogs or cats etc. See rabbit housing.
Good food always ensure good health and proper growth. So, always try to feed your animals high quality and nutritious food. Generally, rabbits can eat and consume all types of grains, legumes and green fodders like lucerne, agathi, desmanthus and various types of kitchen wastes including carrots, cabbage leaves and other vegetable wastes.
In case of raising rabbits by feeding concentrate food, try to provide them some green food. For 1 kg body weight of rabbit, you can feed them about 40 grams of concentrate food and 40 grams of green food.
Along with good and nutritious food try to provide them sufficient amount of fresh and clean water according to their demand. See full rabbit feeding management. Read about rabbit feed.
Rabbits become suitable for breeding within their 5 to 6 months of age. You should use male rabbits for breeding purpose at their 1 year of age to get quality young rabbits.
Always use healthy rabbits for breeding with proper age and body weight. Take extra care of the male rabbit used for breeding purpose and take good care of pregnant rabbits.
Care & Management
For better production, you must have to take good care of your animals. Generally, diseases are less in rabbits.
Healthy rabbits become very active with a shiny hair coat. But if anyhow something goes wrong, then you have to take necessary steps immediately. See rabbit diseases.
Marketing is still a big problem for commercial rabbit farming in India. Although various govt. and non-govt. organizations are inspiring rabbit farming business.
But the marketing problem is not still solved. Rabbit meat has good demand in some areas. You can try your local market and think about exporting in foreign countries.
Rabbit farming has a great opportunity for earning money and fulfilling the nutrition demand. Before starting commercial rabbit farming in India learn more about rabbit care and management.