The Oriental Frill pigeon is a breed of fancy pigeon which was developed over many years of selective breeding. It is also known by some other names such as Hünkari; Classic Oriental Frill, Old Style or Old Fashioned Frill (“classic” style Oriental Frills only).
It is called Hünkari in it’s homeland. Meaning of the word ‘Hünkari‘ is the bird of Sultans. It is originally a Turkish pigeon breed which is specially bred for the Ottoman Sultans in the Manisa Palace, Turkey.
The Manisa is an old Ottoman city in the Western Turkey. The breed is actually divided into several color variations and markings. But the Blondinettes and Satinettes are the most common variety.
The Oriental Frill pigeon was developed from the Old Fashioned Oriental Frill pigeon. And the original form of this bird is still preserved as the Old Fashioned Oriental Frill.
The breed was introduced into the United Kingdom it 1864 from Smyrna. The breed is actually noted for it’s very short beak and rounded heads. However, read some more information about the breed below.
Oriental Frill Pigeon Appearance
Oriental Frill pigeon is a small sized bird with beautiful appearance. The breed is noted especially for it’s very short beak and rounded heads.
These birds have frill of feathers on their breast. They have a dapper peaked crest on the highest point of their head. There are many beautiful color varieties of these birds.
But the most popular and common color varieties are Blondinettes and Satinettes. A Satinette is a mostly white bird, including the body, face, legs, and even the primary flight feathers.
While the Blondinettes can have another basic color, often blue, in those areas. The shoulders, wing coverts, and tail are then patterned to show a wonderful contrast with the ground color.
Average body height of the mature Oriental Frill pigeon is about 33 cm. And their average mature body weight is between 310 and 340 grams. Photo and info from RightPet and Wikipedia.
The Oriental Frill pigeon is used for show and ornamental purposes. It is also very good as pets.
The Oriental Frill pigeon is small and sweet bird. It is good for show purpose and also very good for oriental purpose. But it is highly regarded as an affectionate pet that will follow it’s keeper around.
It is not wise to leave these lovely, social and friendly birds alone and isolated.
Average lifespan of this pigeon breed can be 7 to 10 years, if properly cared. However, review full breed profile of these birds in the following chart.
|Breed Name||Oriental Frill|
|Other Name||Hünkari; Classic Oriental Frill, Old Style or Old Fashioned Frill (“classic” style Oriental Frills only)|
|Breed Purpose||Show, ornamental and pets|
|Special Notes||Beautiful birds, small and sweet, good for show, good for oriental purpose, highly regarded as an affectionate pet, friendly, social, lovely|
|Weight||310 to 340 grams|
|Climate Tolerance||Native climates|
|As Pets||Very good|
|Country/Place of Origin||Turkey|
Oriental Frill Pigeon Facts
These birds are popular among pigeon enthusiasts for their unique look and quirky behaviors. Here are some of the top Oriental Frill Pigeon facts you need to know.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon is a breed of domestic pigeon that originated in Turkey.
- They are known for their long, feathered necks, and a tuft of feathers on the top of their head, which gives them a distinctive appearance.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon has been selectively bred for its frills, which are elongated feathers that grow from the neck and chest.
- This breed of pigeon comes in a variety of colors, including white, black, red, yellow, and blue.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon is a medium-sized bird that typically weighs between 1.5 and 2 pounds.
- These pigeons are known for their friendly and docile nature, making them great pets for those looking for a low-maintenance companion.
- Oriental Frill Pigeons are known for their ability to perform various tricks, including somersaults and backflips.
- They are also known for their love of nesting, and will often build nests out of any material they can find, including twigs, leaves, and even clothing.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon is a social bird that enjoys the company of other birds, making it an ideal pet for those who already have other birds in their home.
- These birds are also known for their ability to adapt to new environments, making them great pets for those who are looking to add a new bird to their household.
- Oriental Frill Pigeons are known for their distinctive cooing sound, which can be heard from a distance.
- These birds are also known for their love of bathing, and will often spend hours splashing around in a shallow dish of water.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon is a hardy breed that is able to withstand a wide range of temperatures, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor living.
- They are also known for their ability to fly, and can often be seen soaring through the sky with grace and ease.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon is a popular show bird, and is often featured in pigeon shows around the world.
- This breed of pigeon is often used for racing, and can reach speeds of up to 60 miles per hour.
- Oriental Frill Pigeons are known for their love of sunbathing, and will often spend hours basking in the warmth of the sun.
- These birds are also known for their love of exploration, and will often venture out into new environments to satisfy their curiosity.
- The Oriental Frill Pigeon is a popular breed among breeders, who are always looking for ways to improve the frill and other aspects of the bird’s appearance.
- Oriental Frill Pigeons are relatively easy to care for, and require a simple diet of seeds, fruits, and vegetables.
- They also require regular grooming, including trimming their feathers and nails, and cleaning their beaks and eyes.
- Oriental Frill Pigeons are known for their ability to bond with their owners, and will often follow them around and seek out their attention.
- These birds are also known for their love of toys, and will often play with balls, bells, and other objects.
- Oriental Frill Pigeons are a popular breed among photographers, who are often drawn to their ornate and exotic appearance.
Tips for Raising Oriental Frill Pigeon
These pigeons are known for their distinctive appearance, friendly demeanor, and unique behaviors. If you are considering raising Oriental Frill Pigeons, here are some of the top tips to keep in mind.
Start with a Healthy Flock: When choosing your Oriental Frill Pigeon flock, make sure to select healthy birds from a reputable breeder. Look for birds that have bright eyes, clean feathers, and no signs of illness or injury.
Provide Adequate Space: Oriental Frill Pigeons require plenty of space to fly, play, and explore. Make sure to provide your birds with a spacious aviary or loft that is large enough to accommodate their needs.
Create a Comfortable Environment: Your Oriental Frill Pigeons will need a comfortable environment that is free from drafts, moisture, and extreme temperatures. Make sure to provide adequate ventilation and insulation to keep your birds comfortable year-round.
Offer a Varied Diet: Oriental Frill Pigeons require a varied diet that includes a mixture of seeds, fruits, vegetables, and grains. Make sure to provide your birds with a balanced diet that meets their nutritional needs.
Provide Fresh Water: Your Oriental Frill Pigeons will need access to fresh, clean water at all times. Make sure to change their water regularly and keep their water source clean and free from debris.
Offer a Variety of Perches: Oriental Frill Pigeons enjoy perching and playing on a variety of surfaces. Provide your birds with different types of perches, including wooden branches, ropes, and swings.
Install Nesting Boxes: Oriental Frill Pigeons enjoy nesting and will require nesting boxes to lay their eggs. Make sure to provide your birds with nesting boxes that are large enough to accommodate their size and provide adequate privacy.
Keep the Aviary Clean: Regular cleaning is essential to maintaining a healthy environment for your Oriental Frill Pigeons. Make sure to clean their aviary or loft regularly, removing any debris or waste.
Monitor for Illness: Keep a close eye on your Oriental Frill Pigeons for signs of illness, including lethargy, loss of appetite, and respiratory issues. Seek veterinary care immediately if you notice any signs of illness.
Socialize Your Birds: Oriental Frill Pigeons are social birds that enjoy the company of others. Make sure to socialize your birds with other pigeons or birds to keep them happy and healthy.
Provide a Bathing Area: Oriental Frill Pigeons enjoy bathing and will require a shallow dish of water to splash around in. Make sure to provide your birds with a bathing area that is safe and easy to access.
Limit Handling: While Oriental Frill Pigeons are friendly birds, it is important to limit handling to prevent stress and injury. Handle your birds gently and only when necessary.
Provide Toys and Enrichment: Oriental Frill Pigeons enjoy playing with toys and other forms of enrichment. Provide your birds with a variety of toys and activities to keep them stimulated and entertained.
Install Proper Lighting: Oriental Frill Pigeons require proper lighting to maintain a healthy circadian rhythm. Make sure to provide your birds with adequate lighting that mimics natural sunlight.
Prevent Predators: Oriental Frill Pigeons are vulnerable to predators, including cats, hawks, and other birds of prey. Make sure to protect your birds from predators by installing proper fencing and netting.
Monitor Breeding: Oriental Frill Pigeons breed frequently and can produce multiple clutches of eggs each year. Monitor your breeding pairs closely to ensure that they are not breeding excessively or showing signs of stress or illness.
Provide Adequate Nesting Material: Oriental Frill Pigeons will require nesting material to build their nests. Provide your birds with a variety of nesting materials, including twigs, grass, and feathers.
Keep a Record: Keep a record of your Oriental Frill Pigeons’ breeding, health, and behavior. This can help you identify patterns and changes over time, allowing you to better care for your birds.
Train Your Birds: Oriental Frill Pigeons can be trained to perform a variety of tricks and behaviors. Consider training your birds using positive reinforcement techniques to enhance their physical and mental abilities.
Use Safe Cleaning Products: When cleaning your Oriental Frill Pigeons’ aviary or loft, use safe cleaning products that are free from harsh chemicals or toxins.
Provide Shade: Oriental Frill Pigeons enjoy spending time outdoors, but may require shade to protect them from the sun’s harmful rays. Make sure to provide shade structures in your birds’ outdoor space.
Consult with a Veterinarian: If you are new to raising Oriental Frill Pigeons or notice any signs of illness or injury, consult with a veterinarian who specializes in avian care.
Prevent Inbreeding: Inbreeding can lead to health problems and genetic defects in Oriental Frill Pigeons. Make sure to avoid breeding birds that are closely related.
Provide a Quiet Environment: Oriental Frill Pigeons are sensitive to loud noises and disruptions. Provide your birds with a quiet environment to minimize stress and promote relaxation.
Enjoy Your Birds: Finally, remember to enjoy your Oriental Frill Pigeons! These birds are fascinating and beautiful creatures that can provide years of joy and companionship. Take the time to observe their behaviors, interact with them, and appreciate their unique qualities.