Duck housing is important for maintaining a successful duck farming business. A good house helps the birds to live a healthy life.
But adult ducks don’t require a high end housing system. But it would be better if you can give them some protection. They will lay eggs better and damage less food.
Ducks just need a shelter or housing place for staying at night and also for keeping them safe from predators.
They will will be happy if you can arrange basic housing facilities for them.
Ducks generally loves to stay in crowd place. The mature duck which are confined at night need 4-5 square feet floor space for each. Every 4-6 female duck needs a nest for laying eggs. Ducks generally love darkness.
So, it is not important to lightening the house. But artificial light helps to prevent piling at night.
As the ducks require a shelter just for staying at night, so they can be kept in a crowded place. Giving them between 1 and 2 square feet housing space will be enough.
The floor of the duck house may be build with dirt, concrete, wood or bamboo. Use straw inside the house as bed. It is very easy to clean and make dry of the floor, made with straw bed. Make the house well ventilated. Following topics will help you to make a house for ducks.
- Make the house in calm and quite place if possible.
- The house should located near the grazing area of duck.
- Make the house high from the ground.
- It would be better if you make the house above water.
- Make a fence around the house to keep them free from all types of predators.
- Be sure the wild animal can’t disturb them.
- Keep sufficient food and water pot inside the house.
- Keep some nest or basket for laying eggs.
- Provide artificial light if necessary.
- Ensure that the duck house is suitable, safe and comfortable for living to the ducks.