Easter Egger chicken is not a breed of chicken. It’s a variety of chicken that does not conform to any breed standard defined in the American Poultry Association’s standards. Actually any chicken that possesses the “blue egg” gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed standards is an Easter Egger chicken. This chicken breed produce medium to large eggs that vary in shade from blue to green to olive to aqua and sometimes even pinkish. The name ‘Easter Egger’ derives from the resemblance of their colorful eggs to Easter eggs. They are raised mainly for their colorful eggs, but also large enough to be used for meat production.
Easter Egger Chicken Characteristics
Easter Egger chickens have relation to the Ameraucana and Araucana chicken breed. Then bred with many different breeds, so they no longer fit either breed’s standards. Like their eggs, Easter Egger chicken vary widely in color and conformation. Usually they have pea combs and muffs, but come in nearly every variety and color. Some chickens even have ear tufts or are rumpless. Although each Easter Egger chicken is different from another, but overall they are smaller chickens that lay blue, green or pink colored eggs. On an average, Easter Egger roosters weight about 5 lbs, and hens about 4 lbs.
Easter Egger chickens are exceptionally friendly and hardy. They can do well in warm and cold weather. In general, they are usually friendly to humans and children. So, they are a great choice for backyard or family flock. Hens are also good layers. See full breed profile below.
Easter Egger Chicken | Breed Profile
|Breed Name||Easter Egger|
|Breed Temperament||Calm, Hardy, Friendly, Docile, Easily Handled, Bears Confinement Well|
|Climate Tolerance||All Climates|
|Varieties||Any & All Colors|
- Beautiful birds
- Colorful eggs
- Good layers
- Easily handled
- Very hardy
- Tame easily
- Bears confinement well
- Can tolerate all climates
- Not a true breed
- All Easter Eggers don’t lay colored eggs
Is Easter Egger Chicken Good for You?
Easter Egger chicken is good for you if you…….
- Are willing for raising some beautiful chickens on your backyard or small farm.
- Want to raise some chickens which produce colorful eggs.
- Are looking for such chicken which are good layers and also good enough for meat production.
- Want to raise some hardy chickens which are also friendly and easily handled.
- Are searching for such chicken breed which can bears confinement well.
- Want to raise some chickens with good personality.
- Want to raise some chickens which are quiet in nature and can tolerate all climates.