Pabda fish is a freshwater fish species. It is very tasty and has high nutrition value. So it has a great demand and high value in the market. Pabda fish can be found in the pond, swamp, paddy field etc. of our country. They are one type of catfish. They generally lives in clean freshwater. Pabda fish can also be found in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Nepal and some other south Asian countries. Classification, physical characteristics, feed habit and breeding of pabda fish are described below.
Classification of Pabda Fish
Classification of pabda fish is described below.
- Kingdom : Animalia
- Phylum : Chordata
- Class : Actinopterygii
- Order : Siluriformes
- Family : Siluridae
- Genus : Ompok
- Species : O. pabda
- Scientific Name : Ompok pabda
Pabda fish is a small sized freshwater fish. The physical characteristics of pabda fish are described below.
- The body of pabda fish is flat in both side.
- The caudal side is more narrow than head side.
- Pabda fish has similarity with boal fish.
- No scales in their body.
- Their chest is silver colored.
- There is a pair of mustache in their mouth.
- Has two pairs of fins.
- Pelvic fin lengths from belly to tail.
- Anal fin is divided into two parts.
- There is a fishbone in the pectoral fin of pabda fish.
- Pabda fish lengths about 12-30cm.
Pabda fish lives in the upper level of water. They are omnivorous. They generally eats protozoa, aquatic insects, crustasia, moss etc. But they also likes cake and fishmeal as supplementary feed. Feed them supplementary feed containing 40% rice dust, 30% mastered cake and 30% fishmeal before their breeding period.
The breeding period of pabda fish is between May to July. They lays eggs within this period.