Determining pigeon gender can be challenging, especially if you are a beginner. Even some experienced pigeon breeders also get fooled. Although, this task will be much easier for you if you raise pigeons for awhile.
Actually, determining pigeon gender is very important, especially if you are willing to raise pigeons commercially. That’s why you need to know more about the ways about how to determine pigeon gender.
There are many different methods for determining pigeon gender. But none of these methods can ensure 100 accurate results. And only DNA testing method can provide 100 percent accurate result. However, here we are listing the top ways for determining pigeon gender easily.
Why Determining Pigeon Gender Important?
Before discussing more about the ways about how to determine pigeon gender, let us first discuss why doing so is very important. Actually, determining pigeon gender can be very important for you for many reasons. Here are the most common reasons for successful pigeon farming business:
- Identifying pigeon gender will help you in successful breeding. Pigeons require pairing a male with a female for successful breeding. And incorrect paring due to gender misidentification can lead to unsuccessful breeding attempts.
- In some cases, controlling the pigeon population become essential to manage space and farm resources effectively. That’s why learning about how to determine pigeon gender will help you in planning and controlling breeding.
- Male and female pigeons act differently sometimes. For example, the male pigeons can be bossy and may fight more, especially when they want to make baby pigeons. And knowing these behavioral differences between male and female pigeons can help you to take care of your pigeons better.
- Some health problems are more common in male pigeons than female pigeons, or the other way around. That’s why learning about their gender will help you to take better care of them.
- Not all the pigeons are same in production. Some may be better at producing meat, while others are better for racing or shows. When you learn the gender, you can decide which ones are best for each job.
- Determining pigeon gender is also very important for your marketing strategy.
How to Determine Pigeon Gender?
As we have mentioned above ‘there are no ways for determining pigeon gender with 100 percent accuracy (except DNA testing)’. But don’t worry! You can learn gradually and tell the differences with high accuracy if you keep pigeons for several months or years.
You need to learn the basic system for determining male or female pigeon, if you are raising pigeons. However, here we are describing about the common ways for determining pigeon gender.
Way 1: Appearance of the Birds
The male pigeons are generally larger in body size and appearance than the females. Head of the male pigeon is round. On the other hand, the female pigeons have generally flattened head.
Eyes of the female pigeons are round, while the eyes of the male pigeons are not so round like the females. In case of body weight, the male pigeons are pretty heavier than the female pigeons.
Way 2: Monitor Their Behavior
Monitoring the behavior of your birds is also a great way for determining pigeon gender. The males generally become very angry in nature, and the females become calm. Both male and female coo.
But the male’s coo generally come with a dance and fanned tail scrapping the ground. The males generally like to chase other pigeons. And the males tend to hold more property than the females. A female pigeon accept a male by dropping it’s wings.
Pigeons generally live in pairs and they mate for life. They share the care of their eggs and young. If the pigeons have eggs, the male will generally sit on the nest in the morning (until around mid-afternoon). And the female will take over the nest later in the day.
Way 3: Listen to Their Sound
Both males and females generally coo. But the male pigeons ‘bow and scrape’ (bowing their heads, while scraping their tail feathers along the ground). The females are generally less vocal than the males.
Way 4: Monitor the Toe
Back finger of the pigeons is generally smaller in both males and females, but the differences in their side finger. The side fingers of a female pigeon are not equal to the front fingers. While the males have side fingers which are equal to the front fingers.
Way 5: Hold their Wing
Hold your bird’s two wing by two hands and shake it in air. If the tail of the bird is straight, then it’s a male pigeon. But if you notice the tail is in upward position, then it is probably a female.
Way 6: Vent System
Some experienced pigeon breeders use this system for determining pigeon gender. The male pigeons have bones which are closed together under their tail. While the bones in female pigeons are wider.
Way 7: DNA Testing
None of the above methods can ensure 100 percent accurate results. You can only get 100 percent accurate result by DNA testing system. DNA testing determines the gender of a pigeon by analyzing a sample of a bird’s blood or feathers.
Common Mistakes While Determining Pigeon Gender
Pigeon gender determination can be challenging if you are a beginner. That’s why some people make mistakes when they try to identify pigeon gender. Here are some simple mistakes to avoid:
- Male and female pigeons often look alike. So, it’s hard to tell the differences just by their size or feather colors.
- Pigeons do many things, but these actions don’t always tell you if they are a male or female. Both males and females can do things like build nests.
- Sometimes, pigeons act differently at certain times, like when they are looking for a mate. Remember this when you are watching them.
- Baby pigeons don’t show if they are boys or girls until they get older. Be careful not to guess their gender too soon.
- Not all the pigeon breeds or types are the same. A sign that shows a male in one type might not work for another type.
- If you are not sure, it’s always good to ask an expert in your area who knows a lot about pigeons or use methods that work well.
- Understanding if a pigeon is a male or female takes time. So, don’t worry, you will learn gradually. Just watch them carefully for a while before deciding.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Many people ask questions about determining pigeon gender (especially the beginners). Here we are trying to list the most common questions about determining pigeon gender, and trying to answer them. Hope you will find your answer. Don’t hesitate to ask us if you have more questions.
What are the male and female pigeon differences?
The male pigeons have a more rounder head, a thicker neck and are overall heavier than the females. These are the main differences between a male and a female pigeon.
How can you tell a female pigeon from a male pigeons?
First of all, look at the size of the pigeon. The female pigeons are generally smaller than the males.
How to identify male and female pigeon?
The male pigeons tend to have more upright posture than the females. They are also larger in size than the females. And the male pigeons have a more rounder head, a thicker neck and are overall heavier than the females.
How to determine pigeon gender?
Determining pigeon gender is relatively easy. But it can be very hard for you if you are a beginner. First of all, look at the size of the pigeon. The males are generally larger in size than the females. They have a more rounded had, a thicker neck and are overall heavier than the females. The females tend to coo more and are sometimes aggressive.
What are the differences between male and female pigeon’s behavior?
The male pigeons tend to coo more and sometimes become aggressive. While the females are relatively calm and less aggressive. The male pigeons take the top position while mating and incubate the eggs, usually during the morning time.
How can you tell a male pigeon?
The males have a more rounded head, a thicker neck, and are overall heavier appearance. They tend to coo more and are more aggressive. The male pigeons take the top position while mating and incubate the eggs, usually during the morning time.
How can you tell a female pigeon?
Identifying a female pigeon is relatively easy. It has a slightly lesser white throat patch and a duller breast. They are also marginally smaller and sometimes have a more smoothly rounded head.
Is DNA testing for determining pigeon gender accurate?
Yes, only DNA testing method can provide 100 percent accurate result. But any other methods mentioned above can’t give 100 percent accurate result. If you don’t want to guess, and want to be 100 sure, then only DNA testing can give you accurate result.
These are the common questions and answer about determining pigeon gender. Hope this guide has helped you! Good luck & may god bless you!