Sediment, heavy metal particles, excessive plant and animal plankton etc. makes the water muddy. Besides this the water of red soil pond and silt soil pond remain muddy most of the time. Muddy water is considered as an important subject of fish farming. If the muddy level of water become 20,000 PPM or more then it becomes very harmful for fish farming.
Adverse Effects of Muddy Water
If the muddy level become more then it is very harmful and reduce fish production. The adverse effects of muddy water for fish farming are described below.
- Muddy water hinders to enter the sunlight in the pond. As a result it disrupt the process of photosynthesis and it obstruct the production of natural food.
- Mud and sand enter into the eyes and gill of fish and damage much.
- Lack of sufficient nutrition can be seen for fish production.
- Fish can’t consume food properly as a result they can’t est sufficient food.
- Muddy water obstruct the breeding of fish.
- Helpful aquatic animal loose eyesight and suffers by respiration problem.
- Above all fish production get reduced.
Causes of Muddy Water
The water of pond or any stream become muddy for various reasons which are listed below.
- By entering mud with rain water during rainy season.
- If the clay particles become excessive in the soil.
- Due to presence of excessive plankton in the water.
- Highly presence of septic substance.
- Due to lack of calcium or lime.
- Presence of floaty solid materials in the pond or stream.
Methods of Removing Muddy Condition from Water
The methods of removing muddy condition from water are described below.
- For removing muddy condition from the water occurs by clay particles and floaty materials use elum at the rate of 20-40kg per hector.
- For muddy condition due to red soil and acidity use 2-3 kg lime and other fertilizer while preparing the pond.
- If the muddy condition of water occurs for plant plankton then change the water of the pond as soon as possible.
- If it become not possible to change the water then reduce the rate of applying supplementary food and use 200-300 kg lime per hector.
- Mix 375-500kg gypsum and 50-100kg zink sulfate with water apply it to the water of pond per hector.
- Stop the entrance of mud and dart mixed rain water to the pond by building the shore of pond high.
- By planting grass in the shore we can reduce the rate of entrancing this muddy and dirty rain water.
- Live water hyacinth and the part of banana tree is very effective for reducing muddy condition form water. Keep those in the water for reducing muddy condition from the water.