- The minnow will not float over water due to lack of oxygen.
- The minnow will not be injured during transportation.
Some rules should followed before transporting minnow. Transporting minnow in long distance is a difficult task. Minnow may die due to various problems during transportation. So, it is very necessary to be careful while transporting minnow.
Minnow Transportation Method
Minnow are transported in two methods. Traditional or ancient method and modern method.
Minnow are transported in pipkin, plastic or metal pot in traditional method. Metal pot become hot very quickly, as a result minnow may die. In this case use wet cloth or hessian to cover the pot. A wet napkin has to keep over the pipkin. And after that is transported from one place to another place. Be careful about some steps while transporting minnow in traditional method which are described below.
- Keep extra napkin, mug, kibble etc. for changing water during transportation.
- Don’t shake the pipkin highly because this may injure the minnow.
- Change the water of pipkin slowly because the minnow can’t tolerate frequent change of temperature.
- Don’t use water of tube-well. Because tube-well water contains chlorine gas which may causes death to the minnow.
- Remove cannibalistic fish and insects from the minnow.
- If any minnow die during transportation remove them immediately from the pipkin.
Modern Transportation Method
In this method minnow are transported in polythene bag with oxygen. This method is very safe and risk is very low. For transporting minnow in this method some equipment are essential. Plastic or polythene bag, rubber pipe, oxygen cylinder, bord paper, thin wooden box, hessian bag etc. are necessary equipment for transporting minnow in modern way. The steps of transporting minnow in modern way are described below.
- Use two polythene bag in a packet. This will keep the minnow safe if one bag become leak.
- Use same sized polythene bag.
- Transport the minnow with that water, where they were previously kept.
- After filling the bag with water, test it whether there any leak in the bag.
- Then keep minnow in the bag.
- Minnow density in the bag depends on the distance and size of minnow.
- 1000-3000 minnow, sized between 1-2 inch can be transported in a 36 x 24 inch size bag.
- Minnow density in the bag will more if the distance become short and density will be less for long distance.
- After keeping minnow in the bag fill it with 2/3 oxygen and close it.
- After that keep this polythene bag in a wooden box and transport anywhere.
- Keep the box always in cool and shadow place while transporting.