Goat farm design plays an important role in the overall production and health of your goats. A good designed goat farm with all types of facilities, ensures higher production, maximum profit and good health for goats. A large amount of total invested money in goat farming business plan goes to this sector. If you are new in this business then you should visit as many goat farms as possible to have some practical knowledge. A good goat farm design must have to include a suitable house or shelter, pasture, numerous mobile shelter for taking rest, sufficient grazing place, free from noise or sound, properly fenced, good source of fresh and clean water and some other necessary facilities. So, before making final goat farm design consider the following factors.
- First of all you may have a question. How much this will cost? Generally the cost depends on the materials and type of the shed. For the first time you can go with low-cost designs. And after gaining practical knowledge about goat farm management you can construct a high-end infrastructure farm design. Generally goat farm design costs less than other livestock animals.
- In general a house with high-roof shed covered with fire-proof materials has been found as the best for goats. And this system is much cooler than the the conventional goat housing system made by using reeds, hay thatches, bamboo poles and asbestos sheet.
- Make the shed in east-west direction. Houses made in this system ensures the maximum flow of fresh air, light and cooler environment inside the house. This system works best for hot-arid conditions.
- You can also make open type shed if your farm located in hot-arid areas. But this system has some disadvantages too and not suitable for over rainy areas.
- The size and width of shelter or house depends on the goat breeds and their size. But an average sized shelter of five to six meters is considered as OK. But the length of the shelter depends on the strength of the herd or flock. An adult goat need about 40-50 squire feet of area for running passage and about 16-17 squire feet of area under the shed according to the strength of breed you can construct a shed.
- The height of the house depends on the weather condition of your farm location. The height of the shelter should be between 3 to 5 meters in the hot regions. And a house less than this height result poor ventilation. Shelter with proper height also helps to control the temperature inside the house.
- The roof of the shelter can be found in both flat and ‘A’ shaped. The ‘A’ shaped shelter is very suitable and has many advantages than flat shaped roof. Flat shaped shelter is perfect in cold areas. But the ‘A’ shaped houses are suitable for all areas. Especially for hot areas. ‘A’ shaped roof helps to prevent direct solar radiation by casting its shadow. It also helps in cutting down heat gain from the roof of the house.
- Fire-proof tar-coated roofing materials has been found as most effective, among all the roofing materials.
- Always try to keep the places surrounding your farm as green as possible for avoiding heating up of the shed for good ventilation. It also help to protect the animals from the direct hit of hot winds.
- Cover the eastern and western sides of the shades for up to a meter height.
- Make the roof and walls white colored outside and colored inside. By painting the side walls with white color outside, it will help to reduce the surface temperature inside by 12 to 22 degree centigrade. Compared to unpainted walls in places where temperature remain above 37 degree centigrade. This is absolutely a great idea for keeping your farm area cool.
- For commercial production, an area with 5 acre land will be suitable for farming about 100 goats.
A good goat farm design really plays a very important role in overall farm profit and production. So, before starting, make a suitable farm design that fulfill your all demands and keeps the goat healthy and productive.