Boal fish is a species of catfish. They are cannibalistic in nature. Boal fish can found in lakes, swamp or large rivers. It is a fish species of south Asia. This fish species found in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Afghanistan and some other countries. This fish is also known by some other names like wallago, wallagonia attu, borali etc. Due to its ferocity it is also known as freshwater shark. Boal is a freshwater fish. Physical characteristics, classification, food habit and breeding of this fish species are described below.
Classification of Boal Fish
The classification of this fish are listed below.
- Kingdom : Animalia
- Phylum : Chordata
- Class : Teleostomi
- Order : Siluriformes
- Family : Siluridae
- Genus : Wallogo
- Species : W. attu
- Scientific Name : Wallago attu
Physical characteristics of boal fish are described beneath.
- The body of Boal is long, depressed in both side and stepwise soprano to the tail.
- Backside is about straight.
- Mouth is big sized and there are some teeth in the mouth.
- Head is covered with soft skin.
- Lower jaw is comparatively longer than upper jaw.
- Has two pair of mustache and one pair is very long.
- They are called catfish for this mustache.
- Dorsal fin is small and there is no fishbone.
- There is a fishbone in the pectoral fins of boal.
- Anal fin is very long.
- Caudal fin is divided into two.
- Body color of Boal is pale white.
- There are no scales in their body.
- A big sized Boal fish can be up to 130cm long.
- Adult big sized fish weights about 20-25 kg.
- Boal is a high strength fish.
Boal fish is very cormorant and carnivorous. They eat different types of small fish and animal from water. Baby Boals eat various types of tiny fish and insects. Boal fish generally eat feed at night. They also eat rotten body of dead animal. Due to its carnivorous and predacious nature they are known as freshwater shark.
Rainy season is the breeding period of Boal fish. They generally lays eggs in July to August. They lays eggs in both bound and open water reservoir.
Nutritive value of Boal fish are listed bellow in the chart.
|Nutritive Elements||Nutrition Value (Per 100g fish)|